Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hospital Tour

So our hospital tour last night was really informative! It was a little bit of torture though for a bit - there were over 10 couples taking the tour and the crammed us all into one Labor and Delivery room for a while while the tour guide talked - it was SO HOT in there that I almost passed out and had to walk out of the room in the hallway! But after that Bob and I just decided to stay behind the pack a bit and I started to feel much better.

It was so strange to think that the next time we step on the floor will be to have our sweet Adam! Each Labor and Delivery room is private (which is so nice) and they are really good sized. You labor and deliver in the same room so you don't have to be moved from place to place. Each room has a TV with a DVD player, CD player, birthing ball a fridge for coaches snacks (yea right like I am going to let Bob eat in front of me when I can't eat) and a lot of other nice amenities! No tubs though, which is ok with me because I doubt I would really use that. Once you have the baby they let you take pictures and everything in the room and then they take the baby to the nursery for observation for a couple of hours but Bob can go with Adam to the nursery, which I told him last night I want to make sure that he stays with our sweet angel. I am then moved to a room on the Mom/Baby area as soon as I am all cleaned up - they have both private and shared rooms. They said that they always try to fill the private rooms first and it's kind of a first come first serve basis, but good thing for me is the tour guide said December usually tends to be their least busiest month so I am hoping that we have a good chance at a private room that way Bob can stay the night if he wants to. One thing though that I was kind of iffy about is that they really try to push you to have the baby in your room 24 hours a day. Not that I have a problem with that but I just thought that I might want the baby to sleep in the nursery at night so that I can get some rest but it probably doesn't matter too much because I do not want Adam to have formula at the hospital so they would have to wake me up anyway so I could feed him.

I feel like time is just flying and I really need to make some decisions on my birth plan! One day I think that I want to go natural and then the next day I say I want the epidural as soon as I get there! I think I will probably just end up waiting to see how I feel when I get there but tell the nurses not to ask me if I want pain meds but to let me ask for them. I also am still up in the air about episiotamies (spelling I am sure is wrong on that), I have heard that sometimes it's better to just tear naturally but then I have also heard that it is better to get one because it is easier to repair. Uggh - so many decisions, how in the world do I know which ones are the right ones.

Wow reality is really hitting me in just 11 short weeks my life will be FOREVER changed! I am scared to death but so excited at the same time!

1 comment:

Meant to be a mom said...

He will be here before you know it.
Its so exciting. How fun that you got to go take the tour. Hopefully that will help you to be ready when he decides to come out.
I have never had a birth without the epidural but I can say that the epidural was a breeze. I felt wonderful and was able to enjoy my son the day he was born without being in pain. However I realize that the experience is totally different if you go natural and honestly it all depends on what you want your experience to be. Either way I'm sure whatever you decide will work out well for you guys.

Post a Comment