Thursday, March 5, 2009

Date Night

Tonight Bob is taking me out for at date! I am so excited. I can't tell you the last time we actually went on one. We are pretty frugal and always make dinner at home so going out to eat is a special treat! We are going to this steakhouse by our place. We have a coupon and a gift certificate that we got on our anniversary so we have $125.00 to spend! I know we won't spend that much but it's nice to know we have it. Bob wanted to go tonight because starting on Sunday when I start my Lupron injections no more alcohol, soda and junk food for me! Hopefully until 9-10 months later is when I will have my next sip of alcohol or a soda.

Something has been brought to my attention that really makes me mad! With everything going on with the Octo-Mom I was just waiting for the backlash of that to come. Well I think it is starting. Georgia has proposed legislation that would virtually shut down IVF in that state! The bill calls for many regulations. But probably the most troubling ones are...
  • Couples under 40 could only attempt to fertilize 2 eggs through in-vitro, a max of two embryos with no freezing allowed.
  • Couples over 40 could attempt to fertilize 3 eggs but with no freezing allowed.

They are trying to say that this bill would protect women and children from multiple births but this isn't really a good thing. In reality things that would probably happen...

  • No more in-vitro in Georgia (and I am sure it would only be a matter of time before this would spread to other states). I can't imagine many patients or even REs would use IVF under these circumstances.
  • Since freezing is not an option - there would just be a lot of unknowns (even more than there is now)! Sometimes a patient hyperstimulates from the drugs and it is not safe to complete the transfer. In this case, the doctor and patient would have no other choice (since freezing is not an option) but to move forward and risk's the patients health or even cancel the cycle all together and the patient would be out a lot of money!
  • Patients that have little time left or those with low egg supply would not be able to have embryos for future usage.

The headlines out there already read like "Bill would prohibit Octuplet mother scenario in Georgia"! This just ticks me off that because of one irresponsible RE and patient out there a bad name is coming down on IVF. I have to admit that if I wasn't facing the issues that we are facing I might feel the way that most of America is feeling. But having had dealt with infertility I have to say that IVF is such an amazing process to help those that would not have been able to have children on their own. Patients and REs just need to be responsible about things and there shouldn't ever be an issue out there like the Octo-Mom!

So for those of you out there who have not had to deal with infertility in your life and don't understand the process. Please don't base your opinion about IVF on the few crazy people out there that abuse the situation. IVF is a miracle for many, many people out there. And I know that it will be my miracle too!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

It will be your miracle, and don't worry about what strangers think. You guys are very loved and supported!

Post a Comment